There has been a lot of publicity about the need for everyone to get a flu shot for protection from swine flu and seasonal flu. However, there are mixed reports surfacing on the efficacy of the existing vaccines.
- “There is no evidence that any flu vaccine, thus far developed, is effective in preventing or mitigating an attack of influenza”. Dr. J. Anthony Morris, former Chief Vaccine Officer, FDA.
- In the October 2008 issue of the Archive of Pediatric & Adolescent Medicine it was reported that vaccinating young people against the flu had no impact on flu related hospitalization.
- A large-scale systematic review of 51 studies published in the Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews found no evidence that the flu vaccine is any more effective than placebo for children. The study involved 260,000 children.
On the other hand, there is very good evidence to support the use of a variety of natural strategies to deal with any flu. Some of these strategies include:
- Avoid sugar, which lowers the immune systems strength.
- Get plenty of sleep, which helps the body to regenerate and balance itself.
- Avoid stress, which also lowers the strength of the immune system.
- Wash your hands and use sanitizer cleansers, if washing is not possible.
- Eat whole foods, no processed foods, especially plenty of vegetables.
- Certain supplements have been shown to have a good impact on preventing the flu and lessening the symptoms. These include Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Zinc, Vitamin A, L-lysine, Garlic, Echinacea, Olive leaf extract, oregano and Elderberry.
- The regiment used by the Bens family and anyone who asks for help, includes:
- Vitamin D— 2,000-4.000 iu/day—Extremely effective at flu prevention.
- Prevention—Immune Support from Buried Treasure. Potent anti-flu formula.
- Oregacillin from Physicians Strength. Clinically tested anti-viral formula.
- Oscillococcinum— Strong Homeopathic symptom relief.
A strong immune system appears to be the best way to combat any flu.
These natural flu prevention and treatment strategies have good scientific evidence as well as support from doctors in actual practice. They are not only effective, they have no side effects. Most of the flu vaccines not only have little scientific evidence, they also have numerous possible negative reactions including increased risk of asthma, autism, and neurological damage. Some scientists even speculate that getting the flu vaccine actually increases the risk of getting the flu.
Charles K Bens, PhD
Charles K. Bens, PhD is an author, speaker and wellness consultant specializing in the prevention and reversal of chronic disease. He is the founder and president of Healthy @ Work, Inc. a wellness education and consulting company focused on improving the health of employees. The company provides workshops on a wide range of health topics. He has written nine books including Healthy at Work: Your Pocket Guide to Good Health, The Healthy Smoker: How To Quit Smoking By Becoming Healthier First and over 200 articles. Dr. Bens lectures all over the world on organizational change and improvement as well as on wellness and health improvement. And was selected by Ottawa Regional Cancer Foundation as the Vail Visiting Professor for 2013.