You've read and heard about the health-depleting effects of sugar and artificial sweeteners like aspartame, There's another sweetener that we've known scientifically is also health-depleting (especially when it's derived from genetically-modified corn), HFCS. Now research sheds an entirely new light on this sweetener as a result of a newer study from the University of Utah1 confirming why we, (especially females) should avoid it.
You may be asking why it's used in so many prepared foods—the answer is simple—it's cheaper to produce than sugar and the manufacturers can "sell" it by claiming, "it's natural" because it's derived from corn! They're correct, it is derived from corn, but that isn't the entire equation. It can even be hidden under generic titles on labels such as "natural ingredients."
Scientists and researchers tested the effects of sweeteners on mice, looking at a fructose-glucose mixture known as HFCS and sucrose or table sugar. At the end of their study period, they didn't see any differences in male mice regardless of the sweetener they consumed. However, something interesting was happening that is cause for great concern when it comes to how the study affected female mice.
All the female mice that were in the HFCS group died at almost twice the rate of female mice in the sucrose group. In addition, they were producing fewer offspring by about 26 percent—a definite sign that HFCS causes reproductive damage. The researchers summed it up this way, "We speculate that the different sugars could favor different microbes in the guts of mice—possibly causing more bacteria to get across your gut than another form of sugar." Interpreted, this means that even though table sugar destroys healthy gut bacteria and causes havoc with your blood sugar, the HFCS did even more damage to overall health and reproductive processes.
You Might NOT Know...
High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS)...
- Causes and/or accelerates Insulin Resistance/Diabetes—disrupts the way muscles make glycogen, which is a form of stored carbohydrate from food energy production;
- Reacts with protein molecules to form "toxic, advanced glycation end-products (AGEs)"
- Is known to be addictive;
- Accelerates Metabolic Syndrome (high cholesterol and triglycerides) through mechanisms that create disorders called lipoprotein metabolism disorders;
- Damages the immune system—studies prove it inhibits white blood cell action;
- Speeds Aging Processes by inducing insulin levels;
- Is loaded with mercury "YES" the same toxic substance used in dentistry. Scientists tested batches of HFCS and over one-third of 55 popular brand-name foods and beverages contained mercury;
Foods Routinely Containing HFCS...
- Jams and jellies
- Crackers and baked goods
- Salad dressings and sauces
- Dairy products
- Carbonated beverages/sweetened drinks like flavored waters
Healthy Natural Sweeteners
- Stevia (from herb leaves)
- Xylitol (from birch trees)—watch carefully for gas-bloating and/or bowel changes as too much can cause those symptoms because it's a sugar alcohol
- LoHan—also known as monk fruit is available in brown or white and is the only natural sweetener that can be used for baking in the same proportions as sugar.
The Way I See It…
Americans get 25 percent or more of their daily calories from added sugars, especially because they’re used in such high amounts in food processing—the same amount researchers used in the study cited above. These dangerous sweeteners are hard to avoid if you’re not making most of the food you consume. And, to make the situation worse, the manufacturers are now renaming the HFCS to appear on labels as simply “fructose,” therefore, even avid label-readers may have no idea how much HFCS is in your prepared foods. The best way to avoid HFCS and hidden ingredients is to avoid, or severely minimize, any processed foods and become an avid label-reader like I teach my clients. Instead, replace these foods with homemade high-fiber foods, quality protein, leafy greens, berries, and a natural sweetener when needed.
Gloria Gilbere, DAHom, PhD
Known as The Health Detective, Dr. Gloria is a Certified Dental Professional, Doctor of Natural Health, Homeopath, Certified Dietary Supplement Counselor, EcoErgonomist, Wholistic Rejuvenist and a Certified Hair Tissue Mineral Analysis Practitioner—renowned worldwide for her work in identifying and implementing natural and nutrition-based solutions to chemically-induced and inflammatory disorders, multiple chemical sensitivities, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, and digestive disorders that defy conventional diagnosis and treatment.
She is founder of the Institute for Wholistic Rejuvenation and consults worldwide via telephone, Skype, and in Gig Harbor, WA.
She is an acclaimed, syndicated talk show host, Dr. Gloria—Health Detective, author of 18 books, 8 courses and over 1,700 health articles. To consult with her visit her website or call 888.352.8175.
Be sure to subscribe to her FREE Health Detective Blog available on the homepage of her website – access to Webinars, Podcasts, Articles, TeleSeminars, downloadable mp3s, online classes, eBooks, and much more. Subscribe to her new eMagazine, Invisible Illnesses SOLVED, a full-color online publication published six times annually with a “Health Detective” team of experts in all areas of health care. Go to: www.gloriagilbere.com/magazine.
She created certificated courses to become a Wholistic Rejuvenist™ (CWR) and post-graduate education credits for health professionals.
Her courses are accredited by international medical schools and teaching hospitals.