Do you remember what life was like when you were 20 years old? Vaguely, huh? Well, those were the days when you had the energy to shoot hoops for three hours for nothing more than something to do. Those were the days of a 34-inch waistline and maybe some blonde highlights in the hair that grew on top of your head (not out your ears). And “ready for action” meant “ready anytime” not just for the next 36 hours like the Cialis® commercial promises.
When one thinks about sexual problems like erectile dysfunction (ED), the first thing that usually pops into the mind is, “the little blue pill.” But despite the fact that ED drugs like Viagra® (sildenafil citrate) and Cialis (tadalafil) don’t work for everyone and are associated with numerous possible side-effects, this doesn’t stop millions of men from using them. Figures show that one out of every five men over the age of 40 has tried Viagra with 48 percent experiencing at least one side effect.1
The problem with most ED drugs is they do nothing to increase sexual arousal. Just because the blood is pumping, doesn’t mean you’re in the mood to make things happen. This is where the “so-called” male hormone testosterone comes in. Testosterone is the key hormone of desire—in both men and women. As testosterone levels decline through age, so does libido. Studies show that low testosterone can lead to ED—especially in those with blood sugar disorders. Research presented in the International Journal of Impotence Research shows that testosterone supplements should be considered in the treatment of ED. The study indicated that testosterone therapy was able to alleviate ED in 34 percent of men who were unable to experience benefits from Viagra alone, whereas 38 percent of men showed improvements by using testosterone along with Viagra.2
One of the easiest ways to ensure healthy testosterone levels for maximum sexual health is to lose the excess belly fat. Studies show that the sexual function is usually diminished by the degree of obesity. In other words, the fatter one becomes, the harder it is to keep up in the bedroom (no pun intended).3
Enhancing libido and overcoming ED naturallyFollowing are natural way’s that have been proven to help overcome ED:
- Follow a healthy diet. Italian researchers discovered that those who followed the Mediterranean diet (consuming lots of fish, vegetables, fruits, nuts and monounsaturated fats) the closest, tended to have the lowest incidence of ED.4
- Exercise regularly. Regular exercise effectively reduces blood sugar and helps to clear occluded arteries (yes even that one).
- Maintain prostate health through nutrient intervention. Nutrients like beta-sitosterol, flower pollen extract, natural lycopene, stinging nettle root, pygeum, selenium and zinc have been shown to help maintain healthy prostate function.
- Supplement with Tongkat Ali Root (in order to elevate testosterone naturally). Studies show that a water extracted 100:1 extract of Tongkat Ali Root are able to naturally elevate testosterone levels and increase libido.
- Zhang XH, et al. Testosterone restores diabetes-induced erectile dysfunction and sildenafil responsiveness in two distinct animal models of chemical diabetes. J Sex Med. 2006 Mar;3(2):253– 64
- Hwang Ti-S , et al. Combined use of androgen and sildenafil for hypogonadal patients unresponsive to sildenafil alone. International Journal of Impotence Research (2006) 18, 400 –4.
- HammoudA, et al. Surgery on the Sex Steroids and Quality of Life in Obese Men. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, April 2009, Vol. 94, No. 4 1329 –32
- Esposito K, et al. Dietary factors in erectile dysfunction. International Journal of Impotence Research (2006) 18, 370 –4.
How to Maintain an Ultimate Libido
- Smaller Small Medium Big Bigger
- Default Helvetica Segoe Georgia Times
- Reading Mode
Brad King, MS, MFS
Brad King is a highly sought after authority on nutrition, obesity, longevity and one’s health and he has been touted as one of the most influential health mentors of our time.
He is an award winning nutritional formulator and was honored with the Best in Canada Award for Health Motivator/Educator and Public Speaker in 2010, was inducted into the Canadian Sports Nutrition Hall of Fame in 2003 and sits on the board of Directors for CHI the premiere sports nutrition education center.
Brad is the author of 10 books including the international best seller, Fat Wars 45 Days to Transform Your Body, the award winning Beer Belly Blues: What Every Aging Man and the Women in His Life Need to Know and his newly released The Ultimate Male Solution.
Brad is a leading health expert having appeared on NBC, ABC and CBS, some of these interviews include: The Today Show, Canada AM, Balance TV, Macleans, Oxygen, The National Post, Chatelaine and Live with Marcus and Lisa.