Below is my Master Formula to ensure optimal fat burning and overall vitality. I have taken the liberty of including select brand names for some of my favorite smart staples.
Banish all of the fake fats that inhibit metabolism, dampen thyroid function and promote inflammation. Eliminate all hydrogenated fats and partially-hydrogenated fats like margarine, shortening and soybean oil and the foods they are contained in like French fries, chips, cookies, crackers and many commercially prepared foods. Eliminate cottonseed oil, canola oil, and commercial vegetable oils, egg substitutes, butter substitutes, cream substitutes and cooking sprays. Be sure to check labels where these imposters are often hiding out like salad dressings and sauces. Your body will thank you!
- Aim for one to four tablespoons of Smart Fats per meal. Check out all the Smart Fat swaps coming up in this section.
- Take Smart Supplements like ox bile or bile salts (a must if you don't have a gallbladder), and/or beet root concentrate or choline to optimize fat digestion.
- Enjoy six to eight ounces of clean, organic protein (grass-fed beef, bison, lamb, poultry) and one to two servings of non-denatured whey from grass-fed A2 cows or non- GMO vegan pea and rice protein per day. For variety, or if you are vegan or vegetarian, eat Nasoya Non-GMO Organic Tofu several times a week. You can also feast on omega- rich wild caught salmon, Wild Planet Albacore Tuna and Skipjack Tuna, sardines as well as Vital Choice canned seafood and Oregon Choice seafood several times a week to help mobilize fat from storage and balance blood sugar.
- Include five or more vegetable servings per day for protective antioxidants and phytonutrients.
- Eat up to two low-fructose fruits daily (one cup of berries, one small peach, one small plum, 10 cherries, 12 grapefruit, one cup pineapple, one small orange, one small nectarine) per day for key vitamins and minerals.
- Fill up on one to three smart starches daily for satiety and fiber (one small sweet potato or yam, 12 cup squash, 12 cup parsnips, rutabaga or turnips, or 12 cup peas or cooked carrots) or 12 cup non-gluten grains per day (brown rice, quinoa, buckwheat, and teff).
- Dive into dairy with caution. Many folks are casein and lactose intolerant so cheese and milk are off limits-especially because casein sensitivities (casein is the protein in milk) typically accompany gluten intolerance. Most almond and rice-based cheeses also contain casein as an ingredient. Yogurt falls somewhere in between because the lactose sugar is predigested by the fermenting process, but casein still remains. Butter, cream and ghee, on the other hand, are digested as fats. The best dairy products are always pasture-raised and organic. If you love cheese, then choose the raw milk varieties. For the dairy tolerant, enjoy one to two full-fat dairy servings daily (eight ounces of plain Greek yogurt or four ounces full-fat cottage or ricotta cheese, or one ounce of hard cheese).
- Select Smart Sips between meals like filtered water, decaffeinated organic green tea or cran-water and/or dandelion root tea to speed weight loss results.
- Sprinkle Smart Seasonings like cayenne, mustard, turmeric, ginger, Ceylon cinnamon, dill, garlic, anise, fennel, cloves, cardamom, parsley, cilantro and cumin to jumpstart fat burning.
- Sweeten with Smart Sweeteners like Organic SweetLeaf Stevia, Lakanto Monk Fruit, The Ultimate Life Xylitol (from birch), Now Erythritol, Now D-ribose, or Now Glycine to replace sugar and aspartame.
Smart Fat Swaps
Here are some of my favorite brand names of the most popular Smart Fats. While there are many other wonderful brands on the market, I am sure, consider this as a basic guide for more exploration: Tropical Traditions Coconut Oil, Nutiva Organic Hemp Seed Oil, Spectrum Safflower Oil, Spectrum High Oleic Safflower Oil, Spectrum High Oleic Sunflower Oil, Ellyndale Macadamia Nut Oil, Siberian Tiger Naturals Sea Buckthorn Oil, La Tourangelle Roasted Walnut Oil, Siberian Tiger Naturals Camelina Oil Carlson Fish Oil, Spectrum Toasted Sesame Oil, Theros or Lucini Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Olivado Extra Virgin Avocado Oil, Omega Nutrition Hi-Lignan Flax Oil, Siberian Tiger Naturals Extra Virgin Siberian Pine Nut Oil.
Each of the following contains the equivalent of one tablespoon of the Smart Fat oils detailed above.
- one tablespoon homemade mayo
- one tablespoon nut or seed butter (peanut, almond, cashew, pumpkin, sesame)
- one teaspoon Barlean's Heart Remedy Omega-7 Swirl
- one tablespoon organic pastured butter or ghee (clarified butter)
- two tablespoons shredded coconut
- three ounces Thai Kitchen Organic Canned full-fat Coconut Milk
- two tablespoons organic sour cream
- one tablespoon organic pastured heavy cream
- one tablespoon Tropical Traditions Coconut Cream
- seeds such as one tablespoon pumpkin, chia, sesame, sunflower and hemp seeds
- one ounce Vega savi seed snack (sacha inchi seeds)
- three tablespoons ground toasted flax seeds
- nuts such as seven almonds, two medium Brazil nuts, four walnut halves, six cashews, four pecan halves, three macadamia nuts, 15 pistachios, two tablespoons pine nuts
- one quarter of a small avocado
- eight large olives
- three anchovy fillets
There may be many high-quality brands available which are not listed below. Since I have formulated and have been the spokesperson for Uni Key Health Systems for nearly 25 years, I am most familiar with the UNI KEY and Fat Flush brand name products. I am confident of their high quality and purity because they are third-party tested for heavy metals and contaminants, unlike some even larger, well-recognized name brands. You can always check the formulations and then find your favorites online or in health food stores.
- Bile Extracts or Bile Salts: A MUST if you have had your gallbladder removed for long-term gallbladder and liver support. Very helpful for short term use for those with fat metabolism issues and symptoms. I like Biotics Beta Plus. Dosage: Take two to three tablets per meal.
- Bile Digestive Aids: Look for a formula that contains a combination of beet root concentrate, lipase and powerful antioxidant enzymes. These ingredients improve digestion and promote bile production. I like Biotics Beta-TCP. Dosage:Take two to three tablets daily with meals.
- Liquid Phosphorus: Help break down gallstones to ensure proper flow with a liquid phosphorus supplement. I like Biotics Super Phosphozyme Liquid. Dosage: Take 30 drops in water once or twice daily.
- Choline: Ramp up metabolism with this liver lover by improving fat digestion and clearing away excess estrogen trapped inside fat cells. Choline can regenerate the part of your liver that makes bile and is the go-to supplement to heal a fatty liver. It is a powerful detoxifying and emulsifying agent that breaks down fat, increases nutrient absorption and balances brain hormones. I like Nature's Way Choline Bitartrate. Dosage: Take one 500 mg capsule, three times per day.
- Liver Support Formula: Feed your liver with nourishing and detoxifying ingredients like artichoke and chlorophyll and taurine. These super food and nutrient stars purify and oxygenate the blood while providing antioxidant protection. I like UNI KEY Liver- Lovin Formula. Dosage: Take two capsules, two times daily with meals.
- Lipotropic Formula: Choline, inositol, and methionine are the ultimate fat-blasting trio, which can also transform excess estrogen into estriol-the anti-cancer estrogen. I feel most comfortable with a product that also provides gentle liver support and blood sugar balance with ingredients like blended milk thistle, Oregon grape root, dandelion root and lipase. I like UNI KEY Weight Loss Formula. Dosage: Take one capsule, three times daily with meals.
- Non-GMO Sunflower or Soy Lecithin: Lecithin has an emulsifying action on fats and helps break them down while also contributing to healthier bile production. I like Now Lecithin Granules. Dosage: Take one to two tablespoons of lecithin granules per day in smoothies or sprinkled on salads as a garnish.
- GLA (Gamma Linolenic Acid): The most balanced source of this essential fatty acid from the omega-6 tribe comes from cold pressed black currant seed oil which stimulates brown fat activity for optimized fat burning. Both Solaray and Health from the Sun offer black currant seed oil. I like UNI KEY GLA-90. Dosage: Take 360 to 900 mg daily for weight loss, PMS, diabetic neuropathy or psoriasis and eczema.
- CLA (Conjugated Linoleic Acid): Omega-6 fatty acids from safflower oil prompt the body to burn stored fat as energy. Also helps to maintain lean muscle mass and provides powerful antioxidant properties. Both Now and Natrol offer CLA. I like UNI KEY CLA- 1000. Dosage: Take 3,000 to 6,000 mg daily.
- High Lignan Flax Oil: This high ALA product comes in liquid and softgels. The best brands I have found include Barlean's and Omega Nutrition. Dosage: Take one to three tablespoons per day.
- Fish Oil: Fish oil now comes to us in different flavors like orange and lemon, which avoids the fishy taste and burps. Available in both liquid and softgels under the Carlson and Nordic Naturals brand. Dosage: Take 1,000 to 4,000 mg per day.
- Flax Seeds: A rich source of lignans, omega-3s, and fiber, flax seeds should be ground and cold milled for optimum digestion and assimilation of the omegas. Dosage: Take one to four tablespoons per day.
- Chia Seeds: Another plant-based omega-3 rich source, chia seeds can be consumed in either the whole or ground state. Dosage: Take one to four tablespoons per day.
- Whey Protein: Look for a non-denatured whey protein concentrate from grass-fed cows which provide natural CLA as well as building blocks of glutathione, the most valuable antioxidant in the body so important for the liver. Whey is high in the amino acid leucine which triggers fat loss and preserves lean muscle mass. Choose formulas from the purer, non-mutated A2 milk, rather than A1 milk which has been associated with diabetes and cardiovascular disease. I recommend Fat Flush Whey Protein. Directions: Use one scoop or 20 grams of protein per smoothie.
- Vegan Protein: Look for a blend of non-GMO pea and rice that provides a complete protein source of essential amino acids. Pea is high in lysine, typically deficient in rice, while rice provides cysteine and methionine, which are lacking in pea protein. I recommend Fat Flush Body Protein. Directions: Use one scoop or 20 grams of protein per smoothie.
- Fermented Protein: Fermentation makes protein easier to digest and removes certain anti-nutrients, like phytates and tannins, which bind to key minerals. Look for a blend of pea protein balanced with complete plant-based protein sources like amaranth and quinoa. I recommend Body Ecology's Fermented Protein Shake-I especially like the immune-boosting impact of the mushroom blend. Directions: Use one scoop or 15 grams of protein per smoothie.
- Blue Green Algae: Nature's most nutrient dense superfood, blue-green algae contains 65 vitamins, minerals, amino acids and essential fatty acids. Be sure to get a wild-harvested, non-GMO formula. I like E3Live. Dosage: Take 1 tablespoon or more daily in a smoothie or water.
- Targeted Probiotic: Look for a probiotic formula with the revolutionary strain Lactobacillus fermentum ME-3, which helps support healthy glutathione levels-a key to healthy liver function. I like Essential Formula's Reg'Activ Detox & Liver Health. Dosage: Take 2 capsules daily, 30 minutes before a meal.
- Full Spectrum Magnesium: Magnesium Glycinate, Magnesium Malate, Magnesium Taurinate, and Magnesium Orotate are the most absorbable forms of this crucial mineral that supports stress relief, sound sleep, regularity, heart health and ATP production for balanced energy. I like UNI KEY Mag-Key. Dosage: Take two to three capsules, three times daily.
- Rhodiola: This outstanding product is a stress-relieving adaptogen known for extending longevity and physical endurance. It helps increase the body's resistance to environmental stress. Choose a brand that offers products based on the pioneering Russian research of Dr. Zakir Ramazanov that are produced by water-only extraction and freeze-drying to lock in purity and potency. I like Ameriden Rhodiola. Dosage: Take 100 to 400 mg daily.
- Progesterone: This bioidentical hormone therapy can outsmart hormonal weight gain. Natural progesterone should be derived from wild yam and stated as USP Progesterone on the label. This easily applied topical product balances an irregular or difficult menstrual cycle and eases PMS, perimenopausal and menopausal systems, as well as water and salt retention. I like UNI KEY ProgestaKey. Dosage: Apply one pump (20 mg) onto chest and neck area according to the life cycle schedule on the container.
- Melatonin: This antioxidant hormone is essential for curbing elevated cortisol before bed, which can create insomnia and intermittent awakenings all through the wee hours of the morning. When cortisol goes up, melatonin comes down. This impacts deep, restful sleep and your ability to lose stubborn tummy fat and overcome sugar cravings, leading to insulin resistance. Dosage: Take 1 to 9 mg, 30 minutes before bed.