The Primary DNA Cellular Repair Nutraceuticals
Vitamin C- The extracellular matrix (ECM) is a complex mix of proteins and polysaccharides synthesized and secreted by the cells in the extracellular space. ECM has a fibrillar structure in most tissues and provides a structural framework for the surrounding cells that is essential for tissue/organ morphogenesis, as well as for their regeneration after injury. Collagens are the most abundant proteins in the ECM and thus the most abundant proteins in the body. Vitamin C is crucial to the production of collagen and impacts ECM homeostasis by regulating collagen synthesis and maturation. Therefore, vitamin C plays a key role in the repair of heart tissue damaged by the heart attack or by a viral infection such as COVID-19.
Vitamin C is also classified as an antioxidant able to prevent damage being caused by free radicals resulting from inflammation, infection and toxins. Toxins are missing an electron in their molecular make-up while vitamin C has an extra electronic that can be used to neutralize the free radical, thus avoiding damage to cells in the epithelial lining of the arteries and capillaries.
Vitamin C is also influential as a co-factor in many enzymatic reactions in the body that determine how stem cells are differentiated into cells needed are repair and replacement in the body. While stem cell production declines with age those that are made can be used when cells are damaged due to a heart attack or a viral infection such as COVID-19. Vitamin C therefore appears to play an important role in both the production of cells in the heart and circulatory system as well as the cellular repair and replacement process.14
Vitamin D3- The role of vitamin D3 in bone health, genetic expression, virus protection and cancer prevention and treatment are well known. Less well known Is the role vitamin D3 plays in the cellular repair process, especially cells in the heart and circulation system. The genesis for this understanding came during research on the role of the endothelium of the arterial wall which revealed its behavior as an organ and not simply a lining which allowed water and electrolytes to pass throw. One of its key functions was determined to be the restoration and maintenance of nitric oxide levels. This was accomplished by vitamin D3’s ability to increase cytoprotective nitric oxide while reducing peroxynitrite a negative molecule in nitric oxide homeostasis. This favorable rebalancing allowed cells in the endothelium to be repaired more rapidly.
The logical extension of this initial finding was to determine if cells in the heart also benefited from this improvement in nitric oxide rebalancing. The study used nano-medical methods of measurement and analysis to evaluate vitamin D3’s role in the nitric oxide theory. The results were conclusive and it can now be confirmed that vitamin D3 does play a key role in the repair of heart cells damaged by myocardial infarction, better known as a heart attack. It can then be logically argued that vitamin D3 can also play a key role in the repair of heart cell damage done by a virus such as COVID-19.15
Modified Citrus Pectin- This grapefruit skin extract is modified via size reduction as well as temperature and pH adjustments producing a molecule with impressive medical properties. In the case of heart and circulation health MCP inhibits the expression of Galectin-3, a biomarker associated with fibrosis and inflammation in patients with heart failure. Using sophisticated cellular analysis tests for mRNA and protein expression levels of signaling molecules and pro-inflammatory cytokines, researchers found some important effects of consuming MCP. It was demonstrated that MCP ameliorated cardiac dysfunction, decreased myocardial injury and reduced collagen deposition.
MCP also down-regulated pathways for other pathogenesis biomarkers which impact inflammation related to myocardial fibrosis. Together the collective influence of these down-regulation pathways and biomarkers supports the use of MCP for the treatment of myocardial fibrosis after myocardial infarction (heart attack). One of the best measures of success would be the blood test for Galectin-3.16
Coenzyme Q10- This valuable nutraceutical has a proven track record for the prevention and the treatment of hypertension, ischemic heart disease, myocardial infarction, heart failure, viral myocarditis, cardiomyopathies, cardiac toxicity, dyslipidemia, obesity, type 2 diabetes mellitus, metabolic syndrome, kidney disease and Parkinson’s Disease. The primary factors related to its effectiveness on heart related illness are as follows.
- CoQ10 exhibited strong anti-inflammatory properties during various heart surgery procedures, and during recovery, as measured by C-reactive protein levels.
- CoQ10 has been shown to reduce the negative side effects of the use of statin drugs for the reduction of cholesterol in the body as well as reduce myopathic side effects.
- CoQ10 can significantly improve the treatment of patients with cardiomyopathy which usually involves some genetic or acquired dysfunctions in the left ventricular or mitral valve function. Dosage of 200 mg/day improved symptoms of fatigue and dyspnea as well as improving posterior wall thickness and mitral valve function.
- Viral myocarditis inflammation (E.g. COVID-19) is a serious factor and CoQ10 was able to suppress this inflammation both in the prevention and the treatment of this viral infection.
- CoQ10 helps to both prevent and treat heart failure by improving the heart contraction force as well as cellular oxygen levels.
- CoQ10 appears to improve the survival of myocardial cells during ischemic events, and limit post infarction myocardial remodeling. This may be at least partially due to its ability to protect the DNA of all cells from damage of any kind, including heart cells.17
Magnesium- Severe magnesium deficiency can lead to a life-threatening heart attack. Magnesium deficiency sensitizes the myocardium due to the toxic effects of various drugs, as well as to hypoxia. Therefore, magnesium supplementation may have significant cardio-protective effects. Deficiency in magnesium may also lead to chronic electrical instability of the myocardium by affecting the sodium and calcium flow into the cells. Extracellular magnesium ions have been found to exert a profound beneficial influence on the flexibility and tissue structure of the arteries, arterioles and veins from a number of regional vasculatures. Most importantly, magnesium is the transport agent that delivers glucose and oxygen to cell membranes and the mitochondria for energy production. One of the challenges for efficient delivery of magnesium into the cell is the fact that it is delivered to the inside of the membrane of the cell and not always directly to the mitochondria. If the cellular repair process is to be optimized then this energy production process should be optimized with the addition of berberine, which is the next nutrient on this list.18
Berberine- Berberine is a natural compound found in plants such as European barberry, Oregon Grape and goldenseal. Its primary benefit is in the production of energy in the cell when it uses the Glut-4 molecule to transport glucose and oxygen from the inside of the cellular membrane to the mitochondria of the cell. Other benefits include:
- Berberine exerts profound antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects against myocardial ischemia/reperfusion injury. SIRT1 signaling clearly shows reduced oxidative damage and anti-inflammatory effects.
- Berberine possesses a variety of pharmacological and biological properties and can potentially enhance cardiovascular performance in multiple conditions including reduced myocardial apoptosis and necrosis.
- Berberine has also been shown to be a therapeutic agent for lipid lowering, including reductions in serum cholesterol and LDL-C.
- By the efficient delivery of glucose into the cells berberine also lowers the level of circulating sugar that can cause oxidative damage to the cardiovascular system, including the heart.19
Specialized Pro-resolving Mediators- The inflammatory tissue response after acute myocardial infarction determines the subsequent healing process. The various leukocytes such as neutrophils, macrophages and lymphocytes contribute to the clearance of dead cells while activating reparative pathways necessary for myocardial healing. Cardiomyocyte death triggers wall thinning, ventricular dilatation, and fibrosis that can cause left ventricular dysfunction and heart failure. The ultimate goal of cardiac repair is to regenerate functionally viable myocardium after myocardial infarction to prevent cardiac death. Specialized Pro-resolving Mediators have unique anti-inflammatory and cellular repair properties that can play a big role in this cellular repair process.
The advantage of using Specialized Pro-resolving Mediators is that they act on specific cellular receptors to regulate leukocyte trafficking. They also blunt the release of inflammatory mediators, while also promoting clearance of dead cells and tissue repair. Since SPM is a concentrated form of omega-3 fatty acids it has positive effects on controlling inflammation, including the reduction of cytokines, endothelial cell activation and platelet aggregation, heart rate and cardiac function. Inflamed cells are able to return to normal functionality as measured by the elimination of symptoms and achieving normalization of various biomarkers such a C-reactive protein and the aforementioned cytokine markers.20
Astaxanthin- Astaxanthin is a red pigment in certain sea algae known for its ability to scavenge free radicals for the prevention and reversal of chronic illness. However, less well known is its ability to repair the damage to the heart and circulatory system caused by a heart attack, a COVIV-19 infection or a COVID-19 vaccination. The pathways for achieving this repair process are as follows:
- It is able to capture free radicals in the double layers of the cell membrane and remove them better than other antioxidants such as vitamin E or beta carotene.
- It also elevates antioxidant enzymes such as catalase, superoxide dismutase, peroxidase, and glutathione-S-transferase.
- It also exhibits a number of other health promoting properties such as being anti-inflammatory, anti-apoptosis, and autophagy-modulatory activities.
- Astaxanthin has also been shown to activate pharmacological and mechanistic anti-inflammatory pathways in the defense of complications related to the corona virus.
- Astaxanthin also inhibits mitochondrial dysfunction, which is crucial to cellular survival and repair.
The proven therapeutic benefits of astaxanthin has been shown in related clinical trials to be important in the treatment of metabolic syndrome, atherosclerosis, cognitive impairment, muscle damage, visual fatigue and dermatological diseases.21
L-taurine- This amino acid has demonstrated unique and valuable capabilities in the treatment of chronic illnesses such as heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes and various brain disorders. In most cases amino acids are the building block proteins for cellular repair and replacement. However, in the case of taurine other cellular health improvement properties have been found and confirmed.
- Taurine influences various cellular functions due to its sulfonic acid makeup such as osmoregulation, antioxidation, ion movement modulation, and conjugation of bile acids.
- Taurine has shown anti-inflammation effects including blood pressure regulation and protection against cardiovascular disease.
- Taurine displays cardio-protective abilities following cardiac injury. Following a coronary artery occlusion-induced ischemia the consumption of taurine resulted in significantly smaller myocardial infarct size, elevated levels of superoxide dismutase, and decreased levels of interleukin and tumor necrosis factor alpha.
- In patients with heart failure, due to coronary heart disease, taurine consumption improved tolerance and recovery during increased exercise.
- In one study continued supplementation with taurine increased taurine to optimal levels which corrected cardiomyopathy by restoring mitochondrial function and improving cardiac energy metabolism.
These results point clearly to the ability of L-taurine to influence various cellular repair pathways leading to the maintenance of intracellular homeostasis.22
Vitamin E- Vitamin E is particularly effective in protecting cell membranes due to its strong anti-oxidant properties. It has a proven track record in the treatment of heart disease, vascular disease and fatty liver disease. By repairing damaged cell membranes vitamin E ensures that cellular repair inside the cells can be done effectively since the membrane regulates both the intake of nutrients and the removal of waste from every cell in the body. Vitamin E is also a Reactive Oxygen Species (ROS) scavenger, specifically targeting lipid oxidation and can prevent oxidized fats from damaging DNA. Vitamin E also helps to extend the antioxidant neutralizing powers of vitamin C making these nutrients a powerful one-two punch of preventing and treatment cardiovascular disease. It also appears to have the positive effect of limiting DNA damage. Vitamin E is actually eight different compounds, four as tocopherols (more common in supplements) and four as tocotrienols. The latter are the ones that manage inflammation better than the tocopherols. Therefore, supplements with both tocopherols and tocotrienols should be preferred in the repair of damaged cardiovascular cells.23
Arterosil- The primary ingredient in this natural medicine product it rhamnan sulfate which is a sulfated polysaccharide extracted from two types of a sea algae with the biochemical names Monostroma Latissium and Monostroma Nitidum. This compound has now been shown to provide protection for the endothelial glycocalyx, which plays an essential role in the endothelium of all arteries, veins and capillaries in our body. The endothelium is involved in the control of vascular barrier function, blood clotting, inflammation, oxidative stress, endothelial nitric oxide production, and the growth of new blood vessels. The glycocalyx is the first line of defense for this endothelium lining by regulating the access of circulating LDK cholesterol and leukocyte to the vessel wall, which is the key step in the development of atherosclerotic plaques. The following clinical benefits of Arterosil have been observed.24
- Arterial health: A study conducted at Baylor University looked at its effects on arterial elasticity, which is a measure of endothelial health. Within hours of taking Arterosil, arterial elasticity increased by an average of 89.6%.
- Blood pressure: In a three-month study, this nutraceutical markedly lowered diastolic blood pressure, with significant improvements beginning within the first month.
- Microcirculation: In another 3-months study conducted at Hypertension Institute, 20 subjects with lower extremity neuropathy showed significant improvement in microcirculation related to nitric oxide production, vasodilation, small nerve fiber function, and also in neuropathy symptoms.
- Plaque regression: Most remarkable, Arterosil has been shown to actually reverse cardiovascular disease. MRIs of men and women with significant carotid artery plaque who took Arterosil for two months showed an average plaque regression of 46.8% in men and 64% in women.
- Plaque stability: This same study also examined the makeup of the carotid plaques. Most heart attacks and strokes are caused by “vulnerable plaques”: unstable, lipid-filled lesions that are prone to rupture. The plaque regression noted above included not only a significant decrease in overall size of plaque built up, but also a 56% average reduction of the lipid core.
This makes Arterosil one of the most powerful of the nutraceuticals mentioned in the preceding list. There are other useful heart health nutrients, but these ten have the best scientific evidence, and have shown the best clinical results in the treatment of damaged heart and circulation cells. This includes damage done by heart attacks, COVID-19 infections or by COVID-19 injections.
Omega-3 Fatty Acids- Omega-3 fatty acids are a primary anti-inflammatory nutrient with many proven benefits for the prevention and treatment of chronic illness. One of main benefits is the ability of Omega-3 fatty acids to soften cell membranes, which helps to improve the entry of nutrients and the removal of waste from the cells. Clinical studies have shown benefits to the following chronic illnesses.
- Cardiovascular disease
- Cancer of the breast, colon and prostate.
- Cognitive function including depression, ADHD, dementia and Alzheimer’s.
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Childhood allergies
- Cystic fibrosis
- Macular degeneration
There are some cautions with the use of Omega-3 fatty acids including its impact on blood thinning medications. However, for the most part it is safe when used at appropriate dosages.25
Disclaimer: While this protocol is supported by solid scientific evidence it is always advisable to consult a well-trained and qualified medical professional to ensure that individual biochemistry and conditions are taken into consideration.
Repairing DNA Damaged Cardiovascular Cells with Natural Medicine
|Previous page: Understanding the cellular repair process
|Next Page: The Secondary DNA Cellular Repair Nutraceuticals